View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 04:50 AM

Default Another Strategy

So, once i have read through the clues a couple of times and have a lot of squares filled in, I look at the puzzle.

Example:

Let's say I have filled in a good amount of squares to the point that I am stuck. I will look for one attribute that has two empty squares- call it A. Then look across the board (from left to right in the top part of the grid only) to find another attribute (call it B) that has those same two spaces marked as false. Which logically means A cannot be B.

I'll explain...

Into the puzzle at this point, I am confident and can say it is correct. So, if Paula is either $1750 or $1780, I will use her as Attribute A. Scroll across the board looking for any attribute that is not $1750 or $1780, and calling it B.

Since I know A is one of two things (and nothing else). Any attribute that is not true for both of the possibilities, will never be true for A.

To check yourself, imagine Paula being $1750. If she was, would she be equal to B? Imagine her as $1780, would she be equal to B? No! Because B will never be $1750 or $1780 no matter what.

It works as long as the puzzle is correct up to this point!

This helps narrow down choices left. It can also add a" false" and leave only one empty square in a row or column (Yay!). And it is often a deduction that is not written in the clues.

?? Make sense?

Hope this helps!

P.S. The tricky part is when Attribute A has empty squares that are not right on top of each other........

Last edited by Leftylucy1115; 12-20-2013 at 05:09 AM.