Logic Puzzle Forums

Logic Puzzle Forums (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/index.php)
-   Questions About Logic-Puzzles.org (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Average Times (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93)

Ladicen_ 04-16-2010 08:18 AM

Average Times

Is the Average Time for puzzles the average time for successful solves or the average time both in successful solves and failed solves? I've read other threads about people cheating for insanely low times, so obviously thats brining the average times down. I was also curious if some people are solving quickly but incorrectly, thus bringing the average down...cause I'm slow as hell and I hate it :p

Vajnar 05-09-2010 03:10 AM

I don't know what the average represents, but I think it represents those solved correctly. As far as your time, just keep practicing. My times have continued to improve over the past year.

pcuser 05-11-2010 08:04 PM

Average time

The average time must be for solved puzzles as the unsolved times would time out at 24 hours, which would warp the averages. Plus, many puzzles have only 50-60% solve stats. All the other 40-50% of puzzles would have 24 hour times, thus further warping the average. Most of the really fast times are probably some form of pattern recognition. I daily solve some 5X5 puzzles under 100 seconds and get scores of 500 or higher from recognizing patterns. Unfortunately, it takes some of the fun out of solving. However, there are enough that I solve without pattern recognition to keep it interesting. I usually score from 420 to 460 on those. Considering that I only started solving logic puzzles late last year on this website, your times should improve on a somewhat regular basis. Sometimes you will plateau for awhile before seeing improvement. When I started these puzzles, I never thought I would get as good as I've gotten this quickly. Also, the real competition is with yourself. So, don't worry about competing with others for awhile until you improve enough to compete. Lastly, there are always a few that catch you off guard and take longer to solve, thus causing some scores in the 300 range.

Good luck,
pcuser

numichem 03-06-2011 09:13 PM

hi master!,

That's really amazing to see someone is so much fast. I had even thought that you guys are cheating by the use of an unknown software :) before I read your explanation about pattern recognition. Can you tell me more about that? I mean how do you distinguish and learn the patterns? Is there an easy way to characterize them with respect to their initial patterns?

Thanks in advance:)
numi

logicallypuzzled 06-21-2011 09:08 PM

Why would you want to solve these with pattern recognition? Doesn't that defeat the purpose??? The only purpose I see in doing that is to get your name on the board as the fastest. But I don't find any reason to solve these with pattern recognition. That's not really solving it IMHO.