Logic Puzzle Forums

Logic Puzzle Forums (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/index.php)
-   Questions About Logic-Puzzles.org (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Tip from a beginner (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?t=362)

stanstar 12-28-2013 04:37 PM

A Tip from a beginner

I am no expert here, but last year I was instructed by zenobia43 who gave me a great tip in helping to solve a puzzle where I came to a blank with apparently no solution.
It goes like this: You all know the type of clue where it says something like “Of the A and the B one is C and the other is D” Ok? What you now do is this.

If A is one of 5 People and their name is Wendy, you write down on paper the other 4 names of people. They might be John, James, Eric and Bob.

You then ask the question “Does John =B” look at the grid and if the answer is maybe or yes, then tick beside John. If John = X negative then put a X beside John. Then go down the list and tick or X beside their names. Then only the names with an X compare with C and D on the grid. Put an X on the appropriate box.

When you have done this with all the peoples names and checked the grid, go and do the same with B. B is one of 5 colors say. B is Blue. Mark down all the other colours except Blue.
Now compare Pink, Red, Green and Yellow with A. If there are ticks meaning positive or empty boxes then that is a yes or a maybe so put a tick against the name and if there is a X then put a X beside the colour. Then the colours with a X next to them compare the grid with C and D and do the same mark X where they align.

Next do the same with C where C perhaps is Wednesday. List the other 4 days Mon, Tues, Thurs, Frid. Compare these with D and do the same as above and then mark X beside them and look at grid and mark of X in alignment with A & B this time. Do the same with D.

Sometimes you can get quite a number of X's which usually helps to finish your solution. You need more than this with the really challenging ones.

I hope this is understandable.

Stan

jwiestling 12-30-2013 02:22 PM

Thanks for taking the trouble, Stan!

I get those clues all the time and was only negating TWO items each time, then going back later when I had more info and filling in additional items. It was undoubtably more time consuming. Now I just have to figure out how to mark them as you suggest. Looking forward to better scores!
:)

Another "newbie"

claudekennilol 01-28-2014 08:46 AM

I'm not following this. This is the clue that I don't understand the intricacies of yet and I'm sure the answer lies in this post. But if someone could explain it in a different way it'd be much appreciated.

Scratch that, I just found this post which explains it rather nicely.
Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 1482)
Hi Stan -

This follows the very same logic from your first post at the top of the thread.

"Rare book" and "Tea Set" are both in the same category (not sure what that category is, as I'm going from memory, but let's say they are "Gifts" for the sake of this explanation).

Clue #3 says that Oakdale is either Greg's gift or the tea set, and $7.75 is either Greg's gift or the teaset. If you know that Greg's gift isn't the rare book, then you know Oakdale isn't the rare book, and $7.75 isn't the rare book.

Here's another way to look at it - the two logic statements we're using are (color coded by category):

1. Of Oakdale and $7.75, one is the tea set and the other is Greg.

2. Greg does not equal the rare book.

Take #2 and use it to replace "Greg" in #1, like so:

-- Of Oakdale and $7.75, one is the tea set and the other does not equal the rare book.

We inherently know, because tea set and rare book are different items in the same category, that:

3. Tea set is not equal to the rare book.

... so now let's replace "tea set" in our modified Clue #3:

-- Of Oakdale and $7.75, one does not equal the rare book (originally: Tea Set) and the other does not equal the rare book (originally: Greg).

Now the logic should be clear - none of the two options given for Oakdale and $7.75 (i.e. Tea Set and Greg) can be equal to rare book. Therefore, since Oakdale must be either "tea set" or "Greg", and $7.75 must be either "Tea Set or "Greg", Oakdale does not equal rare book, and $7.75 does not equal rare book.