Beta Testers for Logic-Puzzles.org Version 2.0
It's been about two-years in the works, but Logic-Puzzles.org "Version 2.0" is nearly ready for beta testing. This is a brand new site which incorporates many of the features our users have been requesting - here's just a few:
1. Puzzle Sizes - Currently we have only 4x4 and 4x5 puzzles on the site, but Version 2.0 will have a much wider range of sizes, 6 in all: 3x4, 3x5, 4x4, 4x5, 4x6 and 4x7.
2. Selecting Puzzle Size and Difficulty - Players will be able to choose their preferred puzzle size and difficulty range for every puzzle - no more having to constantly refresh the page in order to randomly load the puzzle size/range you're looking for.
3. Auto-X - Making a cell TRUE will automatically X-out all other options in its sub-row and sub-column.
4. Undo Button - The game will now remember your every move, and you'll be able to "go back" to an earlier grid state if you feel you've made a mistake.
5. Check for Errors - You can check your grid for errors at any point in the game. Incorrect cells will be removed automatically (though at a cost - each removed square will result in a penalty scored against your final total.)
6. Improved Hints - If you get stuck and can't figure out your next move, you can request a hint, and the system will tell you what the next logical deduction should be. Not a random true or false value, as is currently sent back - but a textual explanation of where the next logical move should be, and why. (Again, at a cost - hefty point penalties are incurred for each hint requested.)
7. Improved Labels - The current site relies on individual image files for each label in the grid, and that can cause problems if an image fails to load - we've done away with this in Version 2.0. All labels will be plain text, even the ones rotated 90 degrees.
We're hoping to have the beta site open for limited testing within the next week. If you're interested in testing out all the new Version 2.0 features, we'd love to hear your feedback - please email email@example.com with the following information:
- Your username (if registered)
- Your hardware and operating system (i.e. Desktop Windows 7, Laptop Mac OSX, iPad, etc.)
- Browser you prefer to use (i.e. Internet Explorer 9, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.)
Once the site is ready for beta testing around the 1st week of December, we'll get back to you with a URL and password information so you can access the beta.
1) Have the ratings reflect the difficulty of the puzzles. If an easy puzzle takes 3 minutes to solve and a difficult puzzle takes 15 minutes, then have the ratings reflect this.
2) How about puzzles in the 5x5, 5x6, or 5x7 sizes?
Oh, and my email request has been sent.
Hi Bill -
The new site has a completely new puzzle library, so it will take a few months to build up enough stats - but what you suggest is essentially how it will work. Initially each puzzle is given an estimated difficulty rating based on the types of logic we think are needed in order to solve them. But after about 2-3 months I expect we'll have enough data to re-rank each puzzle according to real-world solving statistics, and points will be awarded based on both puzzle size and difficulty range.
5-group puzzles are definitely something we're considering for the future, but for right now we're maxing it out at 4x7.
Unless you emailed under a different username I don't think I received your request - can you resend to firstname.lastname@example.org? The beta is now open for testing.
just tried out the new site.really good. instructions really clear. love the fact that you can now have the choice of bigger grids and being able to choose your own difficulty without having to constantly click. its a winner!
Thanks for the feedback, Derek!
Where do you want feedback? You've requested screen shots, where they would be useful, but I'm assuming if you click on the comment area, you can only place a comment, no attachments. None of the Forum buttons on the beta site work for me, I get "The requested URL /forum/showthread.php was not found on this server." Is this thread going to be the dumping ground for feedback, or another spot, or e-mail?
Feedback from first access to the beta site:
Internet Explorer 8 (8.0.7601.17514)
The very first attempt at starting a puzzle (didn't make any selection changes, just left at the default (3x4 Easy) setting I got "Unknown column 'played_x' in 'field list'123" instead of a puzzle.
Went back and moved the sliders around, but put back to (3x4,easy) and selected again and got a puzzle.
When I got the solution, moving the mouse over "Submit Solution" button does the roll over high lighting but the button does absolutely nothing when I click on it.
I also pressed the "Save Progress" button. It shows progress bar cycling, but never stops cycling and I get no indication that it is doing anything else.
Apparently it does save the progress though since it will come back when game revisited in the same
browser or revisited in another browser.
I switched to Firefox browser (24.1.1) and the Submit Solution and Save Progress work fine in that browser.
Thanks passel3 - I'll test it out here in IE8 and try to replicate. You can always just email me at email@example.com with screenshots.
I think I've got the button-problem fixed - seems IE8 doesn't support a non-essential function we were calling. Once I removed it I was able to get the buttons to function in my IE8 emulator - hopefully they will work for you now?
Will check to see what could have caused the "played_x" error next - thanks for the catch!
Yes, both the "Submit Solution" and "Save Progress" buttons are now working fine in IE8.
When doing a "Start Over" you get the caveat that clearing the grid can't be undone, but technically, since you now have "Save Progress", you can continue from your last saved state, even after clearing the grid. I don't know that that is a bad thing.
I also notice that you check off clues by moving them to the "Used Clues" section, but if you Save your progress, and later resume, the Grid is restored to what you saved, but all your "Used Clues" are back in the "Active Clues" area, so you'll have to manually click them back into the Used area, so it seems like you do lose a bit of what might be considered part of your "progress".
Quote:"But after about 2-3 months I expect we'll have enough data to re-rank each puzzle according to real-world solving statistics,"...
Will that be 2-3 months after the beta period, or including the beta period. I'm definitely not trying to solve quickly as I poke at the beta to test features. So far just doing the simplest puzzles for test purposes, and testing the "Undo Errors" cost 720 seconds for six errors. Probably near a 1000 seconds on the first puzzle when the submit button wouldn't work. Perhaps in the long run, the early times in the beta would wash out, but perhaps they should be dropped.
Playing several 4x4s, got interrupted with other stuff on the first so spent 2267 seconds
Played the second for 333 seconds
Played the third for 238 seconds
Selected play again and got a blank page with the message "Invalid puzzle size."
Hit Previous page arrow on the browser
Selected "Create Puzzle" again and it generated a puzzle.
Went to view "My Scores", then "Recent Games", wrote down the sequence above, went back to "My Scores" to see how many 4x4s I had played when I got the error, went to "Recent Games" to note the times for above message. Figured I was done writing this message so went to "Play" again and selected Create Puzzle and got the "Invalid puzzle size." again.
Back arrowed the browser, selected "Create Puzzle" again and it generated a puzzle.
Selected "Start Puzzle" and wrote this portion of this post.
Played around with it some more.
It seems like the sequence of being in a game, or just finished a game, followed by selecting the following "tabs" in this order (viewing each page of course)
"Play", followed by selecting "Create Puzzle" causes it.
Nope, not consistent. It has happened several times over the last few minutes trying this sequence or variations of, but it doesn't happen every time for a given sequence.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.