Logic Puzzle Forums

Logic Puzzle Forums (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/index.php)
-   Logic Puzzles and Brain Benders (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Blackstar Deaths (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?t=211)

spunelli 11-29-2012 08:25 PM

The Blackstar Deaths

I have finally admitted defeat on this one and decided to turn to you guys for help. Attached is an image of about how far I get before getting stuck. I've tried plotting out possible routes, tried a couple assumptions, nothing.

Famously gruesome science fiction series, 'Blackstar Lazarus', has killed off four of its main cast members in as many episodes, in a variety of extremely violent ways. From the clues, can you determine each character's name, the episode title they died in, its position in the series and the type of demise each suffered?

1) Troy Tsunami was killed later than whoever fatally contracted an alien parasite.

2) Fan favourite Susan Vladikova met her maker in "Operation Fatal Justice". This was not episode two.

3) It was in "A Traitor is Found" that faulty execution equipment killed a number of witnesses in addition to the traitor it was supposed to; Queen Tamia, however, was one of the few to survive that particular plot twist.

4) The famous "hull breach" sequence took place earlier in the season than episode three.

5) "Brainscan Overload" was the award-winning third episode.

Names: Troy Tsunami, Susan Vladikova, Captain Mendes, Queen Tamia
Demise: A hull breach, an alien parasite, faulty execution equipment, a badly-wired pleasure droid
Episode: 1,2,3,4
Episode Title: A Traitor is Found, Tyranny on Tarsus, Operation Fatal Justice, Brainscan Overload

spunelli 11-29-2012 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
File attachment.

auntblab 11-30-2012 07:39 PM

Answer to the puzzle

Hi. I have the answer to your puzzle (I think).

Episode 1 - Susan Vladikova, hull breach, Operation Fatal Justice
Episode 2 - Captain Mendes, faulty execution, A Traitor is Found
Episode 3 - Queen Tamia, parasite, Brainscan Overload
Episode 4 - Troy Tsunami, badly wired droid, Tyranny on Tarsus

If this is wrong, I apologize. It just seemed to work.

spunelli 12-03-2012 09:19 PM

Yes that is correct. I was wanting some further advice in regards to the next step in the grid from where i left off. I need to understand how to get to that answer.

cayfordb 12-12-2012 12:44 AM

Examine clue #3. It contains 4 clues, and leads to the solution.

spunelli 12-13-2012 06:56 PM

3) It was in "A Traitor is Found" that faulty execution equipment killed a number of witnesses in addition to the traitor it was supposed to; Queen Tamia, however, was one of the few to survive that particular plot twist.

I see:
traitor is found = faulty equipment != queen tamia

Depending on how you look at that; it's 3 clues and doesn't break my partially completed chart free. What is the forth?

guitardude 10-27-2013 10:48 AM

Your grid does not reflect Susan V's known status correctly.

BillsBayou 11-07-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spunelli (Post 839)

I see:
traitor is found = faulty equipment != queen tamia

Depending on how you look at that; it's 3 clues and doesn't break my partially completed chart free. What is the forth?

If the Queen survives that plot twist, then she dies in a later episode. Therefore Queen cannot be episode 1 and "A Traitor is Found" cannot be episode 4.