Logic Puzzle Forums

Logic Puzzle Forums (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/index.php)
-   Comments, Bugs and Feature Requests (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Farce (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?t=210)

pcuser 11-27-2012 04:04 PM

Farce

Does anybody else find the userid putl3's stats farcical. This user joined the site on November 20, 2012. In those 7 days, he/she/they have scored 3,444,564 points by solving 9229/14028 puzzles and has an average time of solution of 3.8 seconds while averaging 372.3 points per game. That's an average of 1318 games and 492,080 points per day. Of course, if they did average 3.8 seconds per puzzle, it would only take about 1.4 hours per day. Oops, my bad. I didn't realize it would only take 1 hour, 23.5 minutes to load and solve all those puzzles each day.

tulga 11-27-2012 05:17 PM

Now user putl3 was removed...

I think it was a bot, i.e., a program script. As pcuser clearly explained it's humanly almost impossible to attain such a high score and number of puzzles played. I believe it has a mechanism to submit repeatedly the same grid-posting to the game server to each puzzle under a legit user. This explains the low completion percentage (about 65 %). Anyway it played some 12,000 puzzles in less than a week before it was removed from the server (for good).

Rustysocket 11-29-2012 05:26 PM

I am brand new to logic puzzles. I used to enjoy them many year ago in a games magazine and was happy to find this website.

I am either really slow, or am missing something on how to solve these problems. I can only solve about 1 out of 10 and it takes me 20-30 minutes to get through them.

I don't see how anyone can do them so fast.

GWARAndy 12-05-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustysocket (Post 819)
I am brand new to logic puzzles. I used to enjoy them many year ago in a games magazine and was happy to find this website.

I am either really slow, or am missing something on how to solve these problems. I can only solve about 1 out of 10 and it takes me 20-30 minutes to get through them.

I don't see how anyone can do them so fast.

If you are good at math, you are good at logic problems. Essentially the way that I solve problems is by looking at each thing as a variable and then just plugging in the Xs accordingly. You need to look at each statement and think about what it is telling you, for example if a statement says "Either John or the drinker of pinot noir enjoys asparagus," you can infer that John is not the pinot noir drinker and that if one of them is ruled out with another clue, the other one is the asparagus devourer.

Takes time to master, but I enjoy the puzzles. It is too bad that some people feel the need to cheat, though. Rather pathetic, actually, isn't the point of this to have fun? By the way, does anybody know how to close out unfinished puzzles that I want to finish but can't because I have to go do something else? I keep getting screwed on the puzzle completion time because I will sign out with an unfinished puzzle and it counts all of that time towards my average.

Laura 12-05-2012 03:36 PM

There's no pause feature because that would allow players to solve puzzles on "off" time. But the Recent Games list includes all of the puzzles you've worked on within the last 2 hours. (At least it used to be 2.) Any puzzles left uncompleted can be resumed by clicking on them. However, there's no way to stop the clock from ticking up the solve time -- but at least you get the chance to keep your solve rate up.

tulga 12-06-2012 03:37 PM

There is a solution, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWARAndy (Post 829)
By the way, does anybody know how to close out unfinished puzzles that I want to finish but can't because I have to go do something else? I keep getting screwed on the puzzle completion time because I will sign out with an unfinished puzzle and it counts all of that time towards my average.

Hi,
If you don't mind your completion percent to go down, you can request hint for any puzzles you're working on and leave it at that point. By this way that particular game will not be included in total score and average play time calculations.
Hope this helps.