Logic Puzzle Forums

Logic Puzzle Forums (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/index.php)
-   Comments, Bugs and Feature Requests (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Continue Later and/or Quit Button(s) (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16)

bowl231 09-06-2008 05:43 PM

Continue Later and/or Quit Button(s)

Could you add a CONTINUE Later and/or QUIT button ?

I have had to leave the game and/or sign off my machine, once even reboot in the middle of the game.

I would have loved to come back later and complete it later. Now it just says I have failed to solve it which to me is a bummer. I didn't fail - I just didn't get to finish.

If someone doesn't think they can solve the puzzle then a QUIT or SURRENDER button would give them the answers. If that button is not pushed then the game would not be over.

I love logic puzzles always have but don't always have time to complete in one sitting. Other things come up with higher priorities.

Thanks

marcez 09-07-2008 02:49 AM

Totally agree, Bowl! My record stinks because of this lol!

admin 09-07-2008 02:18 PM

Yes, this is on my to-do list - in fact, I'll bump it up to #1 priority since it seems there's a fair demand for it and see if I can knock it out asap.

azzzz 09-19-2008 08:46 AM

Playing as a guest, I often wished for a "pause" button; many games recorded a lot more time than I devoted to the puzzle. However, a pause button will skew the stats since there are players who will pause, solve, "continue", then pop in the answers. Perhaps a quit button (without a surrender) and the game would not be recorded in stats; also, if game timer is running for hours, do an automatic quit on it, perhaps asking first in case a player is really spending 2-3 hours on one puzzle. The timer is running now for a puzzle that was giving me fits; it will probably put me in a statistical hole from which I can't recover. :eek:

I have another suggestion re grid/hints; I'll try to find a more appropriate place to put it.

flutefish 09-19-2008 09:42 PM

Pause button

Perhaps to help prevent the problem azzzz mentioned of players continuing to solve a puzzle while the timer is paused, the screen should be blacked out in some fashion. Other games with pause features I have played I put a pause screen in front of your game so you could not continue to mentally solve the puzzle until you resumed the game. This would help prevent the skewing of the stats that was previously mentioned.

azzzz 09-19-2008 09:46 PM

Well, I got to thinking this morning ... lots of folks print out the puzzles. It seems no matter how it's done, stats will be skewed. Just don't bet the farm. :)

mikiboop 09-21-2008 03:29 PM

A pause would be worth while even if results were skewed. While someone could cheat by printing out the puzzle, it wouldn't happen enough to affect total scores. It is so much easier and faster to work the puzzle online rather than on paper, I cannot imagine anyone going through the bother for hundreds of puzzles. This site is the reason all my puzzle books are gathering dust. Okay, I'll admit I like the idea of trying to beat a few stars, but it's mostly for myself, and a few attempts at cheating by others wouldn't be a big deal. My poor dog would like to not wait until I finish a puzzle before going out. Plus so often my phone rings. Now that the new season is starting, I'd like to use pause to work puzzles during commercials.
So kindly disregard any potential cheaters. The benefits of a pause outweigh a few naughty people.