Logic Puzzle Forums

Logic Puzzle Forums (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/index.php)
-   Questions About Logic-Puzzles.org (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Crazy times (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?t=159)

pcuser 10-07-2011 11:22 PM

Crazy times

What's the fastest time you have solved a 5x5 puzzle. The fastest time I've ever solved one is 14 seconds. I've done it a comparatively few times. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever approached 4 or 5 seconds as progjoey seems to be averaging this month. I know it takes more than that for me just to input the correct green squares across the top rows. Any ideas or comments?
pcuser

Doodles 10-08-2011 02:01 AM

Why Bother?

:confused::rolleyes:
That's not solving puzzles, you couldn't have read a clue! And 4 or 5 seconds is ridiculous. Something is not right with that!

pcuser 10-08-2011 02:39 AM

Reading clues

Actually, you have to read at least 1 clue. You also need to see which is the right clue. Then you have to recognize which puzzle it is and complete the green squares in the top portion. It is pattern recognition along with some memory. I solve many puzzles the same as you or anyone else does. I'm just really fast and efficient...

Doodles 10-10-2011 02:40 AM

:confused:So how do you know the right clue? I have noticed patterns, but te brain is too old to remember the whole pattern!

pcuser 10-10-2011 08:15 PM

Patterns emerge over time and many puzzles. I gradually became proficient at seeing and solving puzzles. It takes time to see the connections. In the meantime, I just enjoyed bettering my time and increasing my scores. I'm 61 myself, so age isn't such a problem. Also, these puzzles help to keep the brain young. One thing that has surprised me is an ability to surpass plateaus when I didn't think it very likely. So just enjoy solving and let the rest take care of itself.

rush1169 10-12-2011 01:06 AM

It's kinda silly

The times are kinda silly IMHO. Pattern recognition is beyond me - I can't fathom it, but I also can't fathom playing enough to recognize patterns. I did play enough to come to realize there aren't that many different puzzles. I always look for puzzles that have a <35% success rate (via the refresh button). The lower the better. After doing a few of these, I realized I was getting repeated puzzles. So, just to make the "record time" listing, I starting printing the puzzles after completion. Soon, I had about 30 puzzles printed that were sub 35% and that's about all I could find. I then went ahead and "set a record" on a few (<10 seconds) only to realize that records weren't being saved (nor average times, nor completion rates).

I do hope a new puzzle generator gets put in place soon. There were hints of a new system coming, but so far that's about all we have. The point is, it would be a very easy matter to simply print off each puzzle as completed and then look it up to "set a record" the next time that puzzle is offered. . .not that anyone would :)

pcuser 10-13-2011 03:20 AM

But it's much more of a challenge to do them without "puzzle aids".