Logic Puzzle Forums

Logic Puzzle Forums (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/index.php)
-   Comments, Bugs and Feature Requests (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   monthly competitions (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15)

flutefish 09-01-2008 04:51 AM

monthly competitions

Since I don't see a place to track our monthly stats, I was wondering if you have implemented the monthly competitions yet?

admin 09-01-2008 02:00 PM

Hi flutefish -

Monthly stats are being tracked as we speak - there's just a little more work I have to do on the presentation of it before I can release it to the public. Hope to have it firmly in place by middle of the month.

flutefish 09-01-2008 06:58 PM

Cool - thanks!

admin 09-13-2008 07:21 PM

Monthly competition statistics can now be viewed via the "Hall of Fame" link. For those who aren't familiar with our monthly competitions on our other Puzzle Baron sites, we start a new round of competition on the 1st of every month. Players can compete for (1) most points, (2) highest solving percentage and (3) fastest average solve time. To qualify for competition #2 you must be ranked within the top 50 for most points for that month. To quality for competition #3, you must qualify for competition #2 and have a solving percentage greater than 75%.

All registered players are automatically entered into the monthly competitions just by playing while logged in.

On the 1st of every month we will tally up the 20 top ranked players in all three competitions and they will be awarded trophies/ribbons according to their placement. These awards will then be always visible via the player's individual scorecard.

Good luck to everyone!

- Stephen

flutefish 09-14-2008 11:16 PM

Monthly competition bug

Stephen,

I noticed in the monthly competitions that some people are on the lists, but haven't played any games since August. The rest of us on the lists are only having our September stats counted. If the competitions started on Sept. 1, those people who have not played in September need to be removed from the lists. Or alternatively, everyone's August stats should be included in this month's competition.

--Flutefish

admin 09-14-2008 11:46 PM

Hi flutefish -

Ah, thanks for catching that. This is indeed a bug but its just a display bug, not a data-related one. The problem is that I've connected the "Last active" field to the wrong database field. Instead of refreshing the time/date for any page load, I had it set so that it was only refreshing when a user either logged in or was active on the forums.

Everyone listed in the September competition has indeed been playing this month - the handful of users who show last game dates in August simply haven't had to re-login and haven't browsed the forums since that date.

I've fixed this bug now so that the last active date will properly update whenever any page is loaded on the site while you're logged in. So most if not all of those old dates should disappear once these players come back to the site and their timestamp is updated. Until then the page data will be a little screwy.

Sorry about that, but thanks as always for the catch! :-)

- Stephen