PDA

View Full Version : Why so many 4x4's?

Carlisler
04-03-2009, 01:31 AM
I really don't like the 4x4's and I don't think it's fair that because a few people cheated that the rest of us have to take what we get. It takes patience and a lot of hard work ie. playing many games to get to the top and those who cheat don't want to put in the work. So, why not let us see what game we're getting and let the cheaters have their way, they give up eventually and those of us who plug away will always end up on top anyway. Anyone else out there share my point of view:D

admin
04-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi Carlisler -

We're going to implement a new feature (probably this month) where users can choose what types of puzzles they want to play via their account profile settings. The two choices will be:

- Play both 4x4 and 4x5 puzzles
- Play only 4x5 puzzles

This should solve the issue you're concerned about.

Thanks for playing!

- Stephen

Macabre Sunset
04-03-2009, 06:25 PM
That would be welcome, though I like a mix.

I think the complaint is in the scoring. I can set a new record on a 4x4 puzzle, finish it legitimately in 100 seconds, but it hurts my scoring average.

And I can also do poorly on a 4x4, finishing in 220 seconds, and it doesn't hurt my scoring average much more than the record did, but it still helps my completion time average.

I think your solution solves only a piece of the problem. The full solution is in tracking solving times and points differently for each type of puzzle.

admin
04-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Hmm, 4x4 puzzles should be scored on a different scale - perhaps that code isn't working correctly. Will add that to my list, thanks!

bowl231
04-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Honestly I would prefer the scoring and ranking
of the two different sizes be separated. A 4x4 high score, success rate etc,
A 5x5 high score, success rate, and Then maybe a Combined/Total High
score etc. This way you can see how you are doing for each type.
You would also only be competing against those doing a 4x4 or 5x5 in the
monthly competition. It might make people feel better or score better.

I think there should be a bonus for completing puzzles to reward those
who do all the puzzles. not just selected ones...

I see high totals yet many have completion percentages under 90%.
15th place 252/377 66.84% 282.5 sec. 366.0 pts. 92237

How are they scoring so high when those of us completing all might
not be. They are getting benefits for not completing and those of us do, will continue and get low scores get low ranking ..

Thanks again for all your hard work