PDA

View Full Version : The World Championship of Logic Puzzles

stanstar
04-14-2014, 10:53 AM
I keep telling myself this when I complete a 4x5 challenge type in 25mins and notice that smyth1mm or some of the best players have a record time of 2 minutes. If any person who was really good and quick at Logic Puzzles, it wouldn't take them long to find us all here, would it? All our fastest solvers and best solvers are here for anyone to challenge them and their skills. So by inference, this IS the World Championship venue for Logic Puzzle solvers. So the person here at 100th are not only 100th here they are most probably the 100th best in the world.

Does anyone agree with me or not?

Stan

Blab
04-14-2014, 02:58 PM
I don't know, Stanstar, but I am sure that some of the players on here must be among the best anywhere. I do only 4x7 challenging puzzles, but can't seem to get any better than about 12 minutes on the average, despite having spent many years doing logic puzzles lots more difficult than these. Yet, there are several people on here that can do these puzzles in half that time, and less. I am amazed.

stanstar
04-14-2014, 04:08 PM
I don't know, Stanstar, but I am sure that some of the players on here must be among the best anywhere. I do only 4x7 challenging puzzles, but can't seem to get any better than about 12 minutes on the average, despite having spent many years doing logic puzzles lots more difficult than these. Yet, there are several people on here that can do these puzzles in half that time, and less. I am amazed.

Hi Blab, Wow 12 minutes, wish I could. I did about 3 4x5's in succession earlier today without writing anything down on paper in 600-680 secs. thats about 10 - 11 minutes and I was chuffed. The next six or so I tried the same and had to use a pen and paper to keep track of the greater/lesser clues as there were about six different ones. These ones ended up being about 25 mins. I know that if I write them down I take time. When I am straining my brain trying to remember all the positions it isn't a lot of fun. Our champ here Zenobia43 has given me lots of tips and encouragement, however my brain can only go as fast as it is capable of going without losing information. Talking about speed now: I used to play competitive chess for 30 years and I could beat some players 10 out of 10 games of 5 minute chess. That is each player has 5mins on his/her clock to complete the whole game. These same players I could beat every time at fast chess, I hadn't a chance of winning 1 game out of 10 playing at a slow speed of 2 hours for 40 moves each. That is a 4 hour game.
So there is something to be said for slow and thorough calculations.
Quality of thought sometimes outstrips speed of thought.

Stan

stanstar
04-14-2014, 06:46 PM

Hi again Blab, where are there more difficult puzzles than these? I like difficult!

Stan

Blab
04-15-2014, 03:54 AM
Hi, Stanstar. My favorite is Logic Lovers Puzzles by Dell. It's a book that you can either buy at magazine counters or order by mail. They rate the puzzles by difficulty and it's the four and especially five-star puzzles that you will really like. These four and five-star puzzles don't have grids, and you will definitely need a notebook to complete them--and usually, several hours. Have fun!

stanstar
04-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Is there anyone here that thinks this is not the venue for the world championship of logic puzzle solving?
I know not of any other.

Stan

contrary
04-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately, it would probably be possible for someone to create a computer program to solve these puzzles. I don't know what sorts of mechanisms they have in place to prevent cheating, but I know they had to ban someone over on the Cryptograms section for it. Unless you can validate that everyone here is a human being, you wouldn't be able to officially crown them the world champion.

That said, this is probably still a pretty good indicator, and I like seeing my own progress against the average times as I learn new tricks. It's sometimes a consoling thought for me that the solvers on here are most likely naturally selected to be better than average at puzzling solving.

doomy304
04-17-2014, 02:34 PM
I think at best this could be the English-speaking world championship for logic puzzles but I'd be extremely unsurprised to learn there are people who are good at logic puzzles who don't use this site.

stanstar
04-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately, it would probably be possible for someone to create a computer program to solve these puzzles. I don't know what sorts of mechanisms they have in place to prevent cheating, but I know they had to ban someone over on the Cryptograms section for it. Unless you can validate that everyone here is a human being, you wouldn't be able to officially crown them the world champion.

That said, this is probably still a pretty good indicator, and I like seeing my own progress against the average times as I learn new tricks. It's sometimes a consoling thought for me that the solvers on here are most likely naturally selected to be better than average at puzzling solving.

I agree with what you say about natural gifted at puzzle solving Contrary. As for people using computer programs, I doubt it. The best solvers are real people like Zenobia, pcuser and the usual top 100 players. A computer geek would have to do thousands of puzzles to get a 1st prize here. I am amazed that smyth1mm has so many records in challenge type 4x5's. I'm sure he/she if they played many more games a month would be in the top 5. Same goes for Doomy304 above who I notice has an average of 147.5secs for challenge 4x5,s My congrats to he/she on this IMO a terrific fast time.

Stan

stanstar
04-17-2014, 03:18 PM
I think at best this could be the English-speaking world championship for logic puzzles but I'd be extremely unsurprised to learn there are people who are good at logic puzzles who don't use this site.

Hi Doomy304, I mentioned you in dispatches above post. Are there any foreign language site for logic puzzles? I doubt it. I would guess we have many good puzzle solvers here where English is not their first language. A basic knowledge of English would be all that was required to play these puzzles. On the topic of 4x5 challenge type puzzles I find there comes at least one point where I have to sit back and think where the heck do I go from here? Sometimes I go through a list of things to try, like cross referencing, greater/lesser comparisons, looking for psuodo double, etc. Sometimes I am stumped and have to re-read the clues again. I find the 4x5's challenging and great fun.

Stan

theomeo1
08-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Since you have been doing logic grid puzzles, what benefits do you notice. Secondly are there logic puzzles you have seen with at least 28 clues.

Blab
08-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Hi, theomeo1. In the October 2014 PennyPress Original Logic Puzzles book, at the back of the book where the hardest puzzles are, there was one I just did that had 20 clues. (The clue section is actually numbered 1 through 9, but each numbered paragraph contains multiple distinctive clues; the numbers being for reference purposes in the puzzle solving explanation section at the very end of the book.). In the past, I think some of these puzzles have had 28 or more distinctive clues. The puzzle I just did took me several hours in each of two separate days to complete. (I'm thinking Zenobia could probably do it in twenty minutes!). Anyway these kinds of puzzles, that require a lot of thinking and scribbling things out on paper, have always been my favorite. I tended to skip the grid puzzles in the books I got because they seemed boring in comparison. Then I discovered this site and started doing grid puzzles with a passion. I think that the element of racing against the clock--and still getting to do some thinking--was what appealed to me, However, I seem to find that using a grid takes away a little bit from the process of deductive reasoning based on the clues alone. I often find myself making answer choices based on patterns on the grid--such as seeing that the same two, three spaces on the grid are empty for two, three rows or columns on the grid, rather than coming to the conclusion that, for example, only John, Ted or Mary could have lived in Idaho, Kansas or Kentucky because of whatever deductive reasoning it took to come to that conclusion. On the other hand, I have actually made huge grids for some of the long puzzles that I do because that was the only way I could manage the elimination process. In short, when it comes to logic puzzles for me, it's all good. (Jeez, I just looked at my post. They don't call me Blab for nothing.)

aliciacoral
08-12-2014, 09:53 AM
I used to be a software engineer, but am now completely burned out on coding (retired). I started doing logic puzzles to keep my brain alive, but now I'm just totally addicted. I find they really do help in keeping my brain active, tho'. In answer to your other question, I have never seen 20 clues. Hope you enjoy :-)

theomeo1
08-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Thank you for your response. Yes I agree logic grid puzzles keep your brain active and help you in everyday life. by looking at a life problem with the same look you would give a grid puzzle problem. Just today a problem with a renter came up and I was able to dissect using the information and come to a conclusion.