PDA

View Full Version : hintus obscura

stanstar
03-03-2014, 05:13 AM
Here are the clues first.

1.*Zachary is either the contestant who won the watermelon contest or the competitor from Raleigh.
2.*Neither the person who won the oyster contest nor the competitor who won the watermelon contest is Wilbur.
3.*Francis was from Orlando.
4.*The contestant from Naperville began his contest 30 minutes before the person who won the hot dog contest.
5.*Zachary began his contest 15 minutes before the person who won the jalapeno contest.
6.*Zachary began his contest 30 minutes before Wilbur.
7.*Adam is either the person who won the doughnut contest or the person from Yaro City.
8.*Of Isaac and the competitor who began his competition at 11:45 am, one won the doughnut contest and the other was from Naperville.
9.*The five contestants are the competitor from Orlando, Isaac, Wilbur, the person who won the oyster contest and Adam.
10.*Adam didn't start his contest at 12:00 pm.

Could someone please explain the hint here? HINT: There are multiple greater/lesser than clues that place basketball and Greg both at the same exact step distance from two different items in the same category. This means basketball cannot be equal to Greg. Mark the highlighted cell as FALSE. (+120 sec. penalty) And immediately after that another obscure hint.
HINT:*There are multiple greater/lesser than clues that place hot dog and Wilbur both at the same exact step distance from two different items in the same category. This means hot dog cannot be equal to Wilbur. Mark the highlighted cell as FALSE

Stan

MissMarie
03-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Did you copy the clues too? I only saw the grid in your picture. I have trouble with that hint too, sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. I just had a puzzle that drove me crazy with exactly that kind of hint, and I still don't get it, so I would like to try to figure out yours.

sadiagardezis
03-04-2014, 12:55 AM
i am no expert and without clues i don't think i can be of any help to you.many a times i have made a mistake of misunderstanding greater/lesser than clues.for example basketball costs two dollars more than item from bingham.the other clue says greg's item costs two dollars less than bingham.i wrongly conclude greg's item is the basketball.then it takes me a really long time to solve the puzzle.i wish i could be of more help.

MissMarie
03-04-2014, 02:47 PM
It looks like we are talking about two different puzzles now. Let's talk about this hint because that goes with the clues you posted:

"HINT:*There are multiple greater/lesser than clues that place hot dog and Wilbur both at the same exact step distance from two different items in the same category. This means hot dog cannot be equal to Wilbur. Mark the highlighted cell as FALSE"

You have two different clues with the same exact step distance:

"4.*The contestant from Naperville began his contest 30 minutes before the person who won the hot dog contest."
"6.*Zachary began his contest 30 minutes before Wilbur."

I think to make sense of that hint you need to know who the contestant from Naperville is or at least that Zachary is NOT the person from Naperville.

Then clue #4 would read: Someone other than Zachary began his contest 30 minutes before the person who won the hot dog contest.

So you have someone other than Zachary 30 minutes before hot dog and Zachary 30 minutes before Wilbur. That means that if you pair hot dog with Wilbur, then Zachary and someone other than Zachary would have the same start time which is impossible. Therefore Wilbur can't be paired with hot dog.

Did that make sense?

stanstar
03-05-2014, 01:25 AM
I'm sorry I posted the wrong clues to the puzzles.

I might try to do it again.

Stan

sadiagardezis
03-05-2014, 12:13 PM
i really don't get it .as you have pointed out wilbur just can't be the jalapeno guy.if the hint says otherwise ,there could be a problem with the puzzle.some puzzles are really difficult but this one seems incorrect???

MissMarie
03-06-2014, 09:19 AM
i really don't get it .as you have pointed out wilbur just can't be the jalapeno guy.if the hint says otherwise ,there could be a problem with the puzzle.some puzzles are really difficult but this one seems incorrect???

It makes sense if you know that Zachary is NOT the person from Naperville. Since Stan didn't post the grid for that puzzle, I can only assume that he knows that from what he has already filled in. If he doesn't know that, then you are right and it makes no sense, but if he does, it seems clear to me.

Did you read my explanation above? Please let me know which step you don't understand, maybe I can find a way of explaining it better.

MissMarie
03-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Oh sadiagardezis, I just realized you were talking about the puzzle in the other thread... please ignore my answer then... although the explanation is still the same, just with different items :)