PDA

View Full Version : Forum spam

admin
02-16-2014, 05:52 AM
Just a quick announcement - because of a recent influx of spam on the forum, we're temporarily putting all new posts into a moderation queue for manual approval. So there will be a short delay between when you make a new post, and when it appears on the site.

This is only temporary until we can come up with a better, more permanent anti-spam solution.

Thanks!

sunrise
02-16-2014, 06:37 AM
THANK YOU. Perhaps you could disable culprit accounts for a set period of time that gets progressively longer with repeat offenses.

uigrad
03-17-2014, 12:06 PM
This has really become an issue to anyone wanting to use the forum.

I'd like to see the system changed so that if you have solved 1 or more puzzles and have no prior offenses, then your post goes through automatically. Posts from new users could still be moderated (or even just thrown out).

stanstar
03-24-2014, 09:53 AM
I agree, a very good idea.

Stan

MicahFFX
05-12-2014, 01:59 AM
This has really become an issue to anyone wanting to use the forum.

I'd like to see the system changed so that if you have solved 1 or more puzzles and have no prior offenses, then your post goes through automatically. Posts from new users could still be moderated (or even just thrown out).

Just popped in to add this very suggestion. :) I'd wager none of the spambots spend the time to complete a logic puzzle before tossing up copy-pasted gibberish with links, and it's not even something they could easily automate.

However, I would go toward moderating posts from new users without any puzzle solves just because someone brand new who wants help shouldn't find themselves unable to communicate - just delayed. Sure, they could use hints and clear errors, but some people like to ask rather than try to figure things out.