PDA

View Full Version : Less than/more than conclusions

lyzgrace
02-13-2014, 01:07 PM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i349/lyzgrace/Random/lessthanmorethan_zpsbafa7d7b.jpg

Can somebody dumb down this hint for me? I don't understand how you can know that Terry is definitely not fusilli by the clues given. Theoretically, couldn't Terry have gotten fusilli and paid $1 less than Velma, who got rotini? I know that's not possible because I'd already ruled out Velma and rotini... I just don't see how some of these less than/more than methodology hints work.

admin
02-13-2014, 01:15 PM
The key to understanding this hint is that you have already uncovered the true relationship between Velma and taglioni. Therefore clue #3 can be read as:

#3. The competitor who ordered fusilli paid $1 less than Velma/taglioni.

Clue #2 says Terry paid $1 less than whoever had rotini.

The hint is basically telling you that Terry cannot possibly equal fusilli, because if Terry==fusilli, then Terry would have to be $1 less than taglioni AND $1 less than rotini. One person can't be exactly $1 less than *two* different types of pasta (taglioni and rotini), since each pasta has a unique price, and each person has a unique price.

Therefore, Terry can't equal fusilli... because both Terry and fusilli are the same step distance (exactly $1 less than) away from two different items (taglioni and rotini) in the same category (pastas).

lyzgrace
02-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks! So really, this hint WAS dependent on the fact that I'd already made other conclusions... it's not standalone. I was trying to figure out how I could make that conclusion based on the clues by themselves.

admin
02-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Yep - the hint system will occasionally reference items/options that aren't in the original clue(s), but are instead paired with items in the original clue based on the current grid state. If you read a hint and you can't quickly find the clues it is referencing, it's a good bet you'll need to consider the true values already on the grid in order for it to become clear.