PDA

View Full Version : what does the star mean?

sunrise
02-10-2014, 03:51 AM
Got a star next to my time but it was marked average so I'm confused

Alethea
02-10-2014, 08:02 AM
It means that you have set a new record for time - congratulations!:)

passel3
02-10-2014, 08:43 AM
When you plot on a graph, you usually have some symbol to indicate the point, often just a dot. I assume the star you are referring to is the star on the graph, next to your score when you finished a game. I don't know what pixel of the star is the "hot spot", which determines placement of the star on the graph. You would think the Center of the star or perhaps the tip of the top point of the star, but either of those seem slightly to the right of where I would expect it on the graph. I think it always uses a star on the plot.

Alethea
02-10-2014, 11:15 AM
You did mean a star next to your time for a puzzle and not a star on the bell curve, didn't you?

Kgun5
02-10-2014, 11:53 AM
It means that you have set a new record for time - congratulations!:)

Alethea is correct. The reason you showed up in the middle of the bell curve, (as much as I have it figured), is because there needs to be an initial time range set up for the purpose of points scoring. Eventually, this scoring range becomes a product of the average time it takes people to solve the specific puzzle. However, in the beginning, there isn't any data for average times, so the range must be set initially and manually.

So your time was the best, (probably because you were the first to solve the puzzle), but you didn't get maximum points because you weren't at the top of the initial scoring curve.

Alethea
02-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Very nicely explained, Kgun5!

uigrad
02-10-2014, 12:40 PM
I agree that this is what he/she experienced. Here's a screenshot of another example:

http://imgur.com/bStVTLO

My guess is that until a puzzle has been solved 'n' times, then the 5 hash marks of the graph correspond with real numbers from other players. If it hasn't been solved 'n' times, then some kind of defaults are used for the hash marks on the graph.

I have no idea what 'n' would be.

passel3
02-10-2014, 01:41 PM
I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for that (could be something new). Back in the "early days" (two months ago) of the new puzzles, when it was easier to set records, because the puzzles hadn't been played by that many people, I set the lowest time a number of times, but there was no star next to my "Your Time:" in the Puzzle's Statistics (three examples attached) (410 was/is? the maximum score on 4x5 Easy)....

Kgun5
02-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Passel,

I believe this would be a case, as outlined by uigrad, where the threshold of "n" attempts had not yet been met. Your score was enough to earn maximum points with respect to the initial scale, but others were already faster than you.

uigrad
02-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Actually, the images by passel3 are different than mine. Mine shows stars in the table on the left and ovelayed on the chart, where as the ones from Passel only shows the star on the chart.

I'll admit, I don't completely know the significance of the star in the chart. My screenshot is from today. Maybe his/hers is from a different day.

Kgun5
02-10-2014, 02:18 PM
uigrad,

The images are different, as they describe the two sides of this coin. Yours shows the OP's issue, which was setting a record without getting maximum points before the "N" threshold has been met. Passel's image shows getting maximum points without setting a record before the "N" threshold has been met.

Passel's images prove that N>1.

passel3
02-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Passel,

I believe this would be a case, as outlined by uigrad, where the threshold of "n" attempts had not yet been met. Your score was enough to earn maximum points with respect to the initial scale, but others were already faster than you.
But you can see from the image, that my score set the lower bound of the scale plot. The three are from the same size and difficulty so would have had the same initial lower bound, if our scores didn't modify it, or would be lower than shown if someone else had scored less.
(I had also set the upper bound of the scale, on occasion, during initial testing of the new puzzle, the graph reflects that upper number immediately as well.)
I did have the case where I scored the maximum (410 points, with a time of 407), and set the lower bound of the graph, but didn't capture a screen shot at the time, but wanted to, so somehow refreshed the previous results page, and it actually showed the score as no longer the maximum, the lower bound was now 289. So, someone had beaten my time, but I assume we each got 410 points, me because I had the initial low score, and any person who sets a new low score, also gets the max points.

But, I did mentioned these screen captures and scores were from December, so there probably is some nuance changes in the scoring, and the star in the box could mean exactly what you interpret it to mean. That indicator may not have existed back in December. Also, it would seem to be unfair that the first person to score low, but not that low, would get 410 points, and then each new low would get 410 points, which would bias the score in favor of the person getting to a puzzle earlier than the others. Having an expected scale, and scoring against that, would seem to be more fair.
So, I believe what you say makes sense. The star probably does indicate you've scored the lowest on that puzzle to date, but the score received is based on an expected curve or actual collected data, not who got there first (which is the reason I had those captures, because early on I questioned the fact that for the same size puzzle and the same difficulty, I received the maximum points even though the time varied from 200 to 407 seconds to complete the puzzle).

Kgun5
02-10-2014, 04:15 PM
With respect with the first half of your post, my conjecture is that if a time were to fall outside the initial range, (i.e., be faster or slower than the bounds on the graph), that the graph would expand to include the time, but only for the given user. That is to say, the graph would revert to its initial bounds for each subsequent user until the N threshold was met.

Your pictures show your setting the lower bound for those three puzzles on your graph, but not setting a record. My guess is that the person that set the record, and reason you didn't get the star, (on the Crypto site, you get this cool animation, too), also got maximum points and saw themselves as the lower bound on their graph.

passel3
02-10-2014, 06:00 PM
I guess it is as good a theory as any other. I hadn't noticed the star on the Statistics Time before, so I'll resume my "ignorant bliss", and just go for lowest I can get in the graph. Since the "challenging" level seems to be the ones that haven't had enough data collected yet, I just spend a couple hours doing 4x4 Challenging ones until I worked my way into the "Not enough data" area, and finally, got a lowest score indication, but still without the star in the Statistics area, so will assume you are correct, and there is at least one hidden person who scored lower than I on this particular puzzle.

p.s. The first 4x4 I played the next day, I got the star in the Statistics table and the score is 43 seconds longer than the previous, so appears to supports what you've said.