PDA

View Full Version : Help please

stanstar
01-31-2014, 07:17 PM
I was really stuck and asked for a clue. Can anyone help me understand the hint please?

Stan

The hint is here: HINT: Clue #4 says Oslo is 2 steps less than Dublin. This places ISON-X42 and Oslo both at specifically different distances from Dr. Lester in relation to years. This means ISON-X42 cannot be equal to Oslo. Mark the highlighted cell as FALSE.

EDIT - It's ok I have it figured out. Dublin =Lester

2nd Edit - However I am now stuck here. The very next hint- HINT: There are multiple greater/lesser than clues that place Dr. Baldwin and Oslo both at the same exact step distance from two different items in the same category. This means Dr. Baldwin cannot be equal to Oslo. Mark the highlighted cell as FALSE

tjsrc
01-31-2014, 11:18 PM
Oh oh! It took me forever to understand those kinds of hints! Then it's pretty simple once you realize it.

There are multiple greater/lesser than clues that place Dr. Baldwin and Oslo both at the same exact step distance from two different items in the same category. This means Dr. Baldwin cannot be equal to Oslo. Mark the highlighted cell as FALSE

okay so say it's "Dr. Baldwin is one before A" and "Oslo is one before B"
If Dr. Baldwin was Oslo and one before A, Oslo couldn't be one before B.
And vice versa..
If Dr. Baldwin was Oslo and one before B, Dr. Baldwin couldn't be one before A.

zenobia43
02-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Clue 4: Oslo -> -> Dublin (Oslo is two rows above Dublin)
Clue 7: Baldwin -> -> Stockholm (Baldwin is two rows above Stockholm)

Notice the following in the above notation: Dublin and Stockholm are on the same side of the inequality, they are in the same category, they are both a fixed distance away from the options on the other side, and the options on the other side of the inequality are in different categories.

This is another way of saying: "There are multiple greater/lesser than clues that place Dr. Baldwin and Oslo both at the same exact step distance from two different items in the same category."

Since Dublin and Stockholm cannot be in the same row, then the other two cannot be in the same row either.

Therefore, Olso cannot be Baldwin. That's fortunate, because in your screen shot, Baldwin can only be Oslo and Zagreb. By eliminating Oslo, you get another green dot.

stanstar
02-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Thank you both, I get it now.
Stan