PDA

View Full Version : another clue quiery

stanstar
01-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Can anyone explain the logic in the hint? I was stuck at least an hour on this (to my mind anyway) and asked for a hint. I don't understand the hint. It is extremely obscure.
The hint is:-HINT: There are multiple greater/lesser than clues that place Trinity and Saint Lucia both at the same exact step distance from two different items in the same category. This means Trinity cannot be equal to Saint Lucia. Mark the highlighted cell as FALSE. (+120 sec. penalty)

Stan

P.S. Niki solved this in 256 secs. Record.

CindyQ
01-26-2014, 11:45 PM
The greater/lesser values...in the same category...meaning, for example since I don't know the actual puzzle, that in one clue Trinity is 3 less than Tom & in another clue Saint Lucia is 3 greater than Dan. If Tom & Dan are in the same category, then Trinity can't = Saint Lucia because Trinity is 3 less than Tom in that category & Saint Lucia is 3 greater than Dan in the same category. I hope that explains it.

stanstar
01-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Thank you for trying help CindyQ. However if you look at the grid which I attached you will see that Trinity is 3 steps greater than Brad and St Lucia is 3 steps greater than Azures. Azures is a different category from Brad. So this example is not the same as the one you offered. I completely understand your example, but it is different.

Stan

stanstar
01-27-2014, 12:24 AM
Because Brad isn't equal to Azure, it follows that St Lucia cannot = Trinity.

Stan

CindyQ
01-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Ahhh, yes I see. That definitely would've taken some thought! How do some of these people figure these things out so fast!!! Good luck in future puzzles! :)

stanstar
01-27-2014, 11:14 AM
I agree with you Cindyq, I just finished a real difficult one, a 5x4 Challeging one and I ended up asking for a clue. Took me well over an hour to get there and I saw that khaddock did it record time of 2.4 minutes would you believe. I haven't got a clue how some of the top solvers do it in such short times. If I remember I have only once in 332 games got below 20 minutes.

Stan