PDA

View Full Version : Is there another mode besides competitive?

pjsbookstore
12-18-2013, 07:42 AM
I am not interested in competing. I do these for fun. How do I turn off competitive mode?

Thank you
PJ

pcuser
12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I think you just don't log in and play as a guest.

dasadler
12-19-2013, 11:20 AM
I posed the same question to the Administrator but have not yet received a reply.

Noctournis
02-03-2014, 12:50 PM
I agree, I do these for fun and I like to be able to pause for other tasks at will. I have no interest in having a bell curve tell me I'm an idiot just because I'm only doing these puzzles on breaks.

dasadler
02-03-2014, 01:02 PM
I think the issue is that they are unwilling to allow you to pause the game because you could study it then resume the time when you have it figured out.

The smart move would be to have a competition mode and a fun mode with only the fun mode having a pause button and the results NOT count in any competition. I would not mind a bell graph under those conditions.

Like you, I frequently need to pause for other work - sometimes for hours.

Alethea
02-03-2014, 01:48 PM
I think that is a great solution, dasadler.

Shiftkitty
03-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Agreed. I would also like to see a "Fun" mode. There are some minor annoying things about "You're either competing or you're not a member". That bell curve is one of them. I don't mind logging in. It tells them that people like their site and are willing to come back. But if you're just a casual puzzler, it sucks to have to see messages that essentially call you a loser if you didn't figure out what four people bought what color cars at what particular time in 30 seconds or less.

TypicalSupernova
03-26-2014, 05:26 AM
I'd like to throw my request in as well for a non-timed/non-competitive logic puzzle option. I do these during mini breaks at work and it's horribly annoying to get "very slow" results when i've been multi-tasking or away for awhile. Hoping this is an option in the future. :)

dogdogmoose
04-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Fun mode = no timer, with pause button.:)

stanstar
04-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Why have a pause button if there was no timer? What would be there to pause?

Stan :eek:

dasadler
04-06-2014, 05:49 PM
The reason you would want a pause AND a timer is so you could play against yourself without being ranked against others. In other words... you would be able to see improvements in times that would be obscured when ranked and categorized (as slow, super slow, etc.)

Stan is absolutely correct, though. If there is no timer, there is no need to pause.

doomy304
04-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Maybe just make it so that the bell curve is optional and something you can toggle in user preferences? That way you don't have to see how you compare to others unless you want to.

garbly
04-14-2014, 08:04 PM
I agree. I do not like the bell cure. Especially as the times are completely unreasonable. Nobody could do these puzzels so fast. You can't even read the clues in 30 seconds much less do the puzzle. Makes me mad :mad:

pamwms54
04-29-2014, 03:45 PM
I agree, there needs to be a Fun or Relaxed mode for when you do not feel like competing. Sometimes I am just waiting for something else to be ready to do and want to do a quick puzzle.:cool:

logicaldog
05-09-2014, 12:46 AM
Me too, I am a beginner and not an adult.
I want to do the puzzle relaxed, not rushed. When I am rushed, it actually makes me do things slowly.

MicahFFX
05-09-2014, 01:31 AM
I agree. I do not like the bell cure. Especially as the times are completely unreasonable. Nobody could do these puzzels so fast. You can't even read the clues in 30 seconds much less do the puzzle. Makes me mad :mad:
If you're referring to a 3x4 easy puzzle, yes, it is actually possible to read, mark boxes, and complete a puzzle that fast. I only rarely beat the record time, but I can get close enough sometimes knowing that I had to Undo or missed something in a clue which added time. Reading skill and speed, knowledge of logic puzzle clue styles, practice doing them, some familiarity with common categories, and other factors can all combine to create a pretty wide spread of times.

I do agree that an option to not compare personal results to others would be nice. Sometimes I do these on a break at work, and finished or not, I have to stop when my break is over ... which horribly skews my numbers because I'd rather leave it open than lower my completion percentage.

amacrow
05-12-2014, 12:25 PM
At work, when I have to go, I click "Save Progress" then I close my browser (or tab) with the game. That stops the clock. When I reopen, I sign back in and click on the "Recent Games" button. There will show all the games recently completed and the ones not completed. Click on the button of the one not completed. It will reopen that game...at the last point you saved your progress. The only downside is that all the clues are "active" again so I have to do some re-reading. It still skews the completion times but not as bad as leaving the game open.

warpf1
05-12-2014, 02:41 PM

I don't think the times are unreasonable. I have completed a puzzle in 34 seconds.

Dont mind me,
I am Warp

MiaKulpe
06-26-2014, 05:38 PM
I'd like an answer to that question as well. At the top of my page it says that I am in competitive mode, which implies that there is another mode. Can't figure out how to get to any other mode, however.

Joe
06-27-2014, 08:21 PM
I think warps signature file says how to feel about 'competitive' mode.... don't care.
I just epically failed. Not just normal failed, I set the record in the wrong way. lol, I was trying to 'cheat' my way with the correction thing and it backfired big time. Who cares? I just said I did terrible and no one is going to check it except me cause no one cares about it except me. Anyone quicker will have the knowledge because they've been where you are now at one time. Lower scores are freaking great to have in your history because it keeps your current lifetime average just slightly lower than what your current average is. So by competing against yourself, you'll beat it more than half the time. :eek:
Essentially what I'm saying is that in a month, you'll be competing against your current scores now. If you fail miserably now; you'll be able to win against yourself later. It's kinda like saying, "I am sooo going to kick my butt with a crappy score like that."
yep, pretzel logic here hope it makes sense.

bovnyccc
06-30-2014, 07:50 PM
You can log off and play as a guest and your scores won't show. When you.want to be in competitive mode, you.can log back on as a registered member.

passel3
07-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Playing as a guest won't appease what appears to be the major issue, that is showing the time you spent on the puzzle against the bell curve of previous solves. That still occurs. You just won't accumulate points for the game, which it also reminds you every puzzle you solve.

People who truly don't care about how long it takes to do the puzzle, they only play for the fun, would not care about the bell curve statistical graph. If you didn't care, you wouldn't even look at it, but just click a button to move on to the next game or exit.
Only a person who cares would be upset by the graph.

AnorhiDemarche
07-01-2014, 09:44 PM
I was wondering this for a while too. competitive mode implies another ode, and it would certainly make sense to have a relaxed mode, just so that people who multitask don't skew the average times.

or have the game auto pause if you click out of the window (grid and clues being blacked out so there's no cheating like that.. though if someone wanted to cheat the could just take a screen shot and save the game, and then pull up the screenie and figure it out and then go back to the game and get it super fast.... cheaters always find a way, really.)