PDA

View Full Version : Logic Puzzles Version 2.0

admin
12-06-2013, 07:25 PM
As you probably can tell by now, Logic Puzzles Version 2.0 is live! This includes an entirely new puzzle library, split between 6 different puzzle sizes and 3 difficulty levels, and dozens of new features and user-suggested improvements.

I want to extend a big thank you to all the folks who helped beta test the new site over the past week - you found a number of issues which would otherwise have slipped through the cracks. (There may still be a few hiccups here and there, so please drop us an email or post to the forum if you notice anything strange.)

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and patience - this relaunch has been nearly 3 years in the making, and it couldn't have been done without your input and support throughout the process.

Cheers, and happy solving!

Stephen

tjsrc
12-06-2013, 07:57 PM
I love this! My favorite is the difficulty option, since I'd get tired of refreshing over and over trying to find a harder one.

deacon2b
12-06-2013, 08:01 PM
What happened to all the points earned up until now?!? I have no problem with the new version other than it completely wiped out 6 days worth of points. It's pretty frustrating.

kericide
12-06-2013, 08:24 PM
The grid gets all messed up and really hard to look at if you try to change the text size in Firefox.

MoonLitCrystal
12-06-2013, 08:32 PM
My points are still there but it says I've done zero puzzles. I guess we have to start from scratch...?

admin
12-06-2013, 08:46 PM
@moonlit, @deacon - Unfortunately the new site requires a new and separate scoring system, so yes, everyone is starting from scratch. Sorry about that! I will be looking into ways of transferring over past trophies to the new site, though.

@kericide - I see some of the grid lines get a little "spacey" when zoomed in on Firefox, but the text seems ok. I'll look into what we can do to alleviate this. Thanks!

BrightSky9
12-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Splendid! Oh, splendid! I'm with tjsrc - When the "new" puzzles went up awhile back, I lost interest in the "old" ones, so I kept calling up another puzzle, another puzzle, another puzzle till I got a "new" one. (I wasn't good at those, but they were always interesting.) And the Hint now gives an explanation. I've used 1 hint so far and spent a long time figuring out why it was correct. That was cool - I struggled with the logic in the hint.

When you upgrade, you sure do upgrade! Thanks.

Alethea
12-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Hello, beta testers and Stephen! I'm so excited to be a part of this. Logic puzzles have been my favourite challenge for about 30 years, but doing them online blows doors on the pencil and paper method ;)

It looks like a couple of the glitches I ran into early on are resolved now. Awesome! So, here are some things I absolutely love about the new site features:

1. The highlighting of top and left lines make it so easy to be sure I am putting an X or circle exactly where I mean to put it. This is great.
2. The auto-X-ing is such a time and effort saver! You have no idea how many times I’ve wished for a feature like this, so I am thrilled.

A couple of suggestions:

‘Select Your Puzzle Parameters’ page: the slider bar doesn’t actually slide, so you have to click on it. This design makes it difficult to judge where on the line I should click to find my desired grid size and difficulty level.

Also, it appears that the site no longer lets you know if you hold the new record for fastest solving time. I truly loved the feeling of accomplishing the fastest time on a puzzle and would like to see that featured again. On the old site, it would be a great boost on a bad day to be able to look at my Personal Scores and see how many records I have held and how many of them have been beaten or still stand. I’d love to see this as a feature on the new site!

Back to the testing for me!

ambrosia831
12-06-2013, 10:34 PM
So far, I love the Undo/Remove Errors/Hint features. They allow me to check my work while still receiving credit for completing the puzzle, although it takes away from the total score. I missed being able to copy/paste clues into the Notes section, but I enjoyed being able to click the clues to move them to the bottom section. Auto-fill of the X's after finding where the circle goes is genius! Also, it used to always frustrate me how hints never gave any additional information, only gave the answer. I haven't used a hint with this version yet, but based on previous comments, I think that may be updated too!

Super excited about the changes and will let you know if I find any bugs. :)

dalfetsmarak
12-07-2013, 06:01 AM
It would help if immovable adverts did not block out the submit button, where I am NOW stuck, unable to submit!!:mad:

admin
12-07-2013, 08:08 AM
@BrightSky9 - Thanks, glad you're enjoying the nw features!

@Alethea - I've got one other report of someone not able to work the slider bars... I may end up junking them and just going to a regular form select if it isn't working properly for everyone. Re: records, right now every time you solve a puzzle, you're more or less setting a "new record" (since there are 18,000 brand new puzzles) - so this is something we'll definitely be adding, but not until the stats are a little more settled.

@Ambrosia - I hadn't considered copy/paste from clues to the notes section, but that makes sense. I'll start thinking of some alternatives that might let that happen in the future. Thanks!

@dalfetsmarak - What browser/operating system are you using? So far I'm unable to replicate that here. If it does happen again though, click the "Save Progress" button and then resume the puzzle via "Recent Games". (That's only a temporary fix until I can figure out why this is happening.) Thanks!

dalfetsmarak
12-07-2013, 08:22 AM
I am using google chrome browser. A further problem which I have tested twice now is that the only 3 x 4 I have done I cannot submit as the nPower add is blocking the submit button and I cannot get round it. Any suggestions?

admin
12-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Can you email me a screenshot showing how the ad is covering the submit button? It can go to admin@puzzlebaron.com - I can't replicate this on Chrome here, but it may be an ad that is only showing in your geographical area. If I can see how the ad is positioned I may be able to figure out what is causing it - thanks!

dalfetsmarak
12-07-2013, 08:47 AM
If I knew how to do a screen shot I would, quick lesson?

admin
12-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Here's info: http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

dalfetsmarak
12-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the link. Got as far as putting in Paint but have no idea how to get it from there to you, copy and paste doesn't seem to do it. Sorry.

dalfetsmarak
12-07-2013, 09:25 AM
It happened on '#7236 if that's any help

admin
12-07-2013, 09:51 AM
I've moved the ads so that they are now below the puzzle, instead of below the clues. This should resolve the submit button issue. (Hopefully they won't layer above the hint/errors/etc. buttons for you, but let me know.)

Spokes
12-07-2013, 12:22 PM
I haven't been on version 2.0 for more than 10 minutes so far, but I'm highly impressed with how much more streamlined everything appears to be. Excellent work on this.

admin
12-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks Spokes!

passel3
12-07-2013, 03:25 PM
IE8
Selected a 4x5 puzzle size and it generated a puzzle
Selected "Start this puzzle >>" and got the "Unknown column 'played_x' in 'fild list'123" error again.
Selected "Play" again, and "Create Puzzle >>" and "Start this puzzle >>" and started solving.
I finished solving and submitted the answers and got the congratulations you got the correct solution "Standby for results" message.
Instead of the results it displayed a page with "Incorrect puzzle identifier".
Went to the "Recent Games" tab and selected "Continue" on the last game played, and got the grid back, but completely starting from scratch since I didn't select to "Save Progress" before submitting my solution.
Must have been a bit rattled since I must have made a goof the second time, didn't get to the solution, so had to start a third time. Eventually got it solved again, but made for a very slow time.

admin
12-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks passel - are you able to tell what the game id# was, via your Recent Games page? I should be able to use that to track down what's happened there.

Rainstar76
12-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Yay! I was happy to see that you do plan on reinstating the feature that tells you when you've gotten a new record. :) It was great for brightening up bad days and making me feel better to know that I set a new record. :)

So far I'm loving the new site and the ability to change difficulties/sizes. I haven't had any glitches yet, but I haven't been able to do more than about a dozen puzzles so far.

I would also love to see a pause button as I, too, play where I may get interrupted (waiting rooms, checkout lines at the grocery store, etc.). It'd be nice to be able to come back and get a more accurate telling of how much time it took me to finish it. I'm sure if anyone's ever looked at my scores, even before the new one, they must've been slightly confused since I was setting records on some puzzles but averaging about 3500 seconds for solving. Having a pause button would make those stats line up a little better. Even if you can't get the full amount of "points" for a puzzle if you hit pause, it'd still be nice to have a more accurate picture of how long it takes to complete the puzzle.

Perhaps with having a limit such as not getting full points for a puzzle if you hit pause would help keep those who would use that feature to cheat down to a minimum.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the new site. :) Nice job!

admin
12-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks Rainstar! A pause feature is something we've implemented on other sites in the past, only to have it be abused by people who load a puzzle - print it out - pause it - solve it with pencil and paper at their leisure - then unpause and enter the solution in ridiculously quickly to get super-inflated scores. It might work if we were to strip all the points away from each paused puzzle, but I'm concerned that's adding a lot of potential complexity/confusion. Either way, I'll look into it - thanks!

If you're playing on a tablet, you may want to try our logic puzzle app for iOS/Android - which does include an auto-pause feature whenever you close the app.

passel3
12-07-2013, 08:39 PM
hmm, I thought I did note the puzzle number. Perhaps I wrote it in a comment, or wrote it down in notepad while composing the post then got lost when I reworded things. It was puzzle #14231.

admin
12-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks passel -

The database record for that puzzle looks fine, which is puzzling - I can see exactly where/how the error you saw was triggered, but don't yet know why. I've set up some error logging at that point in the script though so the next time it happens it will email me some debug data which hopefully will shed some light.

Thanks!

admin
12-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Ah, the debug came back with some new data that showed where the problem was. I think it should be sorted now. (At least I'm assuming it is - I'm no longer receiving email reports showing a failure at that node.)

Thanks for helping to track that one down!

admin
12-08-2013, 04:36 AM
Quick update - I've temporarily removed the "slider selectors" from the puzzle initialization page, due to multiple bug reports from Android tablet users. The drop down menus there now work in exactly the same way.... (they just don't look quite as nice!) The drop-downs should also pre-load and remember your most recent preferences, just as before.

Rainstar76
12-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Awesome, I will look into the app. I play on my phone but Google Play says it'll work on my phone, so we'll try that.

I can certainly understand the concern for those who pause, print, solve and then un-pause. And I know nothing about programming so I have no idea how complicated it is to add in code to strip the points from a puzzle. I certainly don't want to make it more complicated for the programmers! But if it's do-able, it'd be really appreciated. I was doing one at work on my break yesterday afternoon, saved it, and then promptly forgot when I got home so when I remembered this morning, I ended up with a time of almost 59,000 seconds when reality the actual puzzle probably took me about 150-200 seconds. So yeah, pausing would've been helpful with that, but like I said, I don't want to make it more complicated so I totally understand if it just won't work. :)

bawkbawk
12-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I totally love the new look for the puzzles! This is so wonderful - I love the new way both the horizontal and vertical titles are highlighted and the little story that goes with the puzzles. You did a marvelous job with this project. Bravo!

admin
12-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks so much bawkbawk! Comments like that make my day. :-)

MoonLitCrystal
12-08-2013, 05:50 PM
I've been getting to know the new version for the past couple days, and I really love it! I am one of those people who freak out about change (the older I get the more mellow I get with it though) so at first I was like *GASP* oh no! :eek: But once I started playing with it and discovering all of the neat features, I have to say I'm very impressed. My favorite ones are the auto-fill X's and the highlighting so I'm sure of exactly where I am placing my mark. :D

passel3
12-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Ah, the debug came back with some new data that showed where the problem was. I think it should be sorted now. (At least I'm assuming it is - I'm no longer receiving email reports showing a failure at that node.)

Thanks for helping to track that one down!

IE8
I got the "incorrect puzzle identifier" again after finishing puzzle # 83913. Unfortunately, I again didn't do a "Save Progress" before submitting, so had to start over after retrieving it from "Recent Games.

Earlier I was playing game 82422 and must have marked something wrong as I got stuck, so did a "Start Over". I started filling in from the first clue again, when I remembered that this puzzle had a "The five things were..." type clue and I preferred to fill those X's first while the board is clear, so did another "Start Over", and the page went to something like "You can't select a page directly... I will redirect you to the Start page", or something. I didn't write it down and it quickly redirected me to the puzzle creation page, I believe. So, I had to retrieve that from the "Recent Games" as well.
The next two games, I tried to replicate that error by partially playing and doing "Start Over" several times, but couldn't get it to happen again.

admin
12-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks passel - I know how you're triggering these errors, but sadly I still don't have a grip on why. I've added some more debug code to log this node, and will keep digging. Thanks!

Leftylucy1115
12-11-2013, 02:49 AM
Question about scoring and monthly competitions: Is there a page where I can see the top 50 players for success rate and fastest solver rate? If not, will this return?

Also, 6 x 7 puzzles will always take much longer to complete then the smaller ones- will there be some special scoring categories to account for this?

Only minor issue: I keep getting errors about shockwave player (or something)not responding, which is probably my computer.

Love the new site otherwise! My favorite are the 6 x 7 puzzles- I feel like my life has changed!

Thanks!

chagler
12-11-2013, 05:10 AM
I don't see the option to choose a 6 x 7 grid - the most I can choose is a 4 x 7 grid, am I missing something? :confused:

admin
12-11-2013, 07:36 AM
@leftylucy - right now there is only a high-score monthly challenge. We're looking into ways of possibly adding fastest solver competitions in the future, broken down by puzzle size.

Each subsequently larger puzzle size has an equivalently larger maximum score assigned to it. The 4x7 puzzles are the largest and have the highest maximum score.

@chagler - there is no 6x7 grid, leftylucy was referring to our 4x6 and 4x7 puzzles.