PDA

View Full Version : New Puzzles?

tulga
12-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Hello,
Today I have met two new 5X5 puzzles that I didn't solve earlier. They contain a new clue type; "X has Z dollars less than Y." Anyone also have been seeing these?

meeshaB84
12-15-2012, 11:02 PM
They Should keep adding new puzzles so no one can CHEAT and other people could earn rewards based on skills and not based copying all the patterns. How can you sit there playing thousands of games and just clicking the right answers rather than doing the puzzle? Don't you get bored? What's the point? Maybe you just don't have the skills to solve a puzzle!

bocci
12-16-2012, 03:32 AM
Yes, I got three new puzzles in succession so far tonight.

pcuseralso
12-16-2012, 09:29 PM
I noticed that the point calculation is different. I just set a new record of 431 seconds and scored 501 points. I just scored 549 points on a 5x5 puzzle that I solved in 288 seconds. Definitely a different point system...

pcuseralso
12-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Come on everyone. You must have an opinion about the new puzzles. Love them? Hate them? Tell it right here.

susa
12-21-2012, 11:22 PM
haven't seen the new puzzles, but have a comment on the "old" ones. I wonder who invents them, but surely this person has some health problems or doesn't understand the basics of "positive" thinking. Instead of puzzles having to do with Captopril, and claustrophobism and hospital bills, why not use pleasurable situations, such as music, parties, fun.... and not illnesses!!!!!!!!! (yes, I know there are some puzzles with lambadas and macarenas, but apart from this... that's completely out of fashion now! :-))) Just thinking aloud

pcuseralso
12-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Interesting...

tulga
12-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Come on everyone. You must have an opinion about the new puzzles. Love them? Hate them? Tell it right here.

I am left with mixed feelings after playing several hundred of the new ones. The new clue type "Y paid Z dollars more than X" was confusing in the beginning and I was losing more than necessary time with them before developing a formula to map them on the board.
A second thing; I think the frequency of the new puzzles differentiate from user to user. In other words, a user may have more new ones than another user in the short-run. It's my experience so far.
In short, new puzzles are a welcome addition to the site.

karlknox
12-28-2012, 03:31 PM
I like that there are new puzzles, but I've found several that are not well constrained and have multiple solutions. It's redic when you have to guess to get the right solution. Anybody else have this problem?

Deborah5h
01-03-2013, 12:38 AM
I'm really not enjoying the new puzzles. The old ones were sometimes easy, sometimes challenging, but I could actually do most of them, given enough time. There are lots of the new ones I can't solve. I wish I could opt for new or old puzzles. I feel I can't really compete with the new ones. :(

admin
01-03-2013, 12:42 AM
@karlknow - Guessing is never required. Each puzzle has one and only one solution, and each is solvable using only the clues given.

@deborah - We are looking into adding an option for players to select only puzzles of a particular difficulty level. It's hard to make that work within the confines of competitive play but we're working on it. That said, don't give up on the new puzzles just yet - most aren't that much harder, they just require new forms of deduction you may not yet be accustomed to.

drupsje
01-05-2013, 12:57 AM
I love 'em, especially the "X paid Y dollars more than Z", and it's great that there are so many of them now, alltogether they're much more challenging which I like.

Laura
01-05-2013, 09:46 PM
I like the new puzzles, although I also agree that some of them are more difficult. I spent over four hours on one (I just hated the idea of losing 100% solve rate) and had come to the conclusion that there was just no correct answer. After I walked away for a while and came back I was able to solve it.

What really helps is paying close attention to the clues that indicate precedence along with the increment number -- for example 'Volcano X erupted 9 years before Volcano Y.' If the increment is 3 years, you enter 3 Xs in opposite sides for each volcano. Very often those are the clues that help you solve a puzzle.

bocci
01-06-2013, 03:23 PM
I like the new ones, especially the heavy use of the before/after and less/more style clues. Forces the player to use part of the clue and refer back to it as the puzzle fills out.

Haven't found one that requres guessing (yet?!) and I think the comment about puzzles having multiple solutions is in error. Newer ones are taking me longer in general due to the need to recheck the clues more. Plus I fell asleep doing some, and having resulting solve times like 38000 seconds doesn't help my average much...;)

Laura
01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Bocci, that's really funny! I haven't fallen asleep (yet) during a puzzle, but I have been interrupted (usually by my husband or the phone) and then forgotten that I had to finish one. I try to work these when no one else is at home, or it becomes almost impossible to stay focused.

tulga.more
01-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Hello,
Does anyone start to see names at the record's fields except for "Guest". I assume user "Guest" is assigned by the server to the players who play anonymously without logging in. Any thoughts?

pcuseralso
01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
I've set a ton of records on the new puzzles and never seen a name. I also suspect Guest is for an unregistered users. I also think there are an enormous number of different puzzles when you consider that different orders of the same clues create different puzzles for each set of clues. Perhaps all those Guest best times means they have finally fixed the records problem that I think they've had since I started. That or there are so many puzzles that you rarely see the same puzzle twice. Admin could clue us in on this....

pcuseralso
01-10-2013, 08:45 PM
It would be interesting to know if anyone has seen any record holder not Guest on a new puzzle...

tulga.more
01-11-2013, 04:08 PM
It would be interesting to know if anyone has seen any record holder not Guest on a new puzzle...
Indeed it would be a sight to see since I have my doubts about the record-setting feature is enabled continuously. My reasoning is that we will be seeing at least a few names as the record-holders for the new puzzles among the vast set of new puzzles. Otherwise, one has to assume that there are a bunch of guest users who constantly out-perform any player and they are content to remain anonymous, which does not make any sense. My theory, for the new puzzles, is that after played for the first time, any new puzzle is sealed.

pcuseralso
01-11-2013, 06:04 PM
If each puzzle is locked after the first solution, we would expect to see some very high times, some in the thousands of seconds. We would expect to see few extremely fast times. Guest record holders could easily be players trying to figure out how to solve these more complex puzzles as we started doing before taking on userids to track our progress. It also seems to cast the site in a sinister light. The administration isn't at all sinister IMHO. It would be nice to see Admin weigh in on the facts here...

wobbler
01-12-2013, 05:47 AM
I think I've gotten some of the new ones -- sometimes the wording is a little strange. I've apparently set 3 new records, too! I wish that was reflected in your scores page.

tulga.more
01-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Now it seems that every puzzle I have played had times set by some legitimate player. Is it just the work of regular weekly maintenance done on Saturdays or of some mysterious being? :confused:

lynneo
02-07-2013, 07:53 PM
I have recently joined this board and I pulled out half my hair trying to solve the puzzles, and FINALLY, I got where I could easily solve the 4x4's and with some work, solve most of the 4x5's. The new ones have made me bald. I cannot solve ONE of them. I guess its a learning curve. I really do NOT like them right now, and I am studying the new tutorial for these puzzles (on YouTube by Puzzle Baron). I guess it just takes time and effort.