PDA

View Full Version : Fast solvers?

mcgriffin93
11-11-2012, 09:28 PM
I've noticed that some of the high score holders in the monthly rankings seem to have unrealistic solving speeds. (For example, average solve speed of under 60 seconds for over 1,000 puzzles.) Are these individuals cheating, or have they just reached a higher plane of logic-puzzle-solving existence?

tulga
11-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Hi,
As a player holding records under 60 secs in monthly competition tables, it's quite possible to solve games under 60 secs without cheating. However, you have to practise a lot.

pcuser
11-13-2012, 06:58 PM
I also have practiced a lot. However, it is or was possible to do so by cheating. Long ago, I tested my ideas on a very small scale and under a different username so as not to taint my username. Those ideas worked and I stopped immediately so as not to mess up the statistics of this site. I can vouch for tulga as I have noticed statistics indicating some of his methods to do it fairly. For others, I can't say...

mcgriffin93
11-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the replies! I'm very impressed with both of your performances. Hopefully, with some practice, I'll eventually figure out some of your tricks. :p

pcuser
11-14-2012, 06:53 PM
The most important thing to remember is play fairly in regards to others on the site and the spirit of the game and to have fun while learning the way to great stats.

2manynames
11-24-2012, 01:38 AM
I have noticed someone now has 3.8s as a time. I am sorry but I cannot accept that anyone can do this without cheating. :confused:

pcuser
11-24-2012, 03:50 AM
3.8 is impossible. However, there seems to be a glitch. Today, I had my completion rate drop to 99.9% with no incomplete puzzles. When I looked at my recent puzzles, there were no incomplete puzzles over the time span I had across my 2 pages of scores. However, it showed a puzzle "completed" in 3 seconds. I'm fast, but not that fast. I sent all the data to administration. Hopefully they can fix the glitch. So, this may explain the 3.8 sec time you saw.

tulga
11-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Hi,
There has been a glitch and according to the reply posted by the admin at this link http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?t=208, no recover is possible. Some data have been lost forever.
I have also lost 125 games :(
That explains the weird score of 3.8 sec and other things.

meeshaB84
12-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Your right, solving these puzzle in under 60 secs is unrealistic! After playing the puzzles for awhile you may notice a pattern in the results. That is how these "fast solvers" achieve their rank!

pudgemudge2u
12-04-2012, 06:27 AM
So do the ones who are so quick at solving these puzzles just memorize each puzzle, or is there some other secret that "practicing" will help me discover? I can usually solve them, but just reading the clues takes 30 seconds to a minute, much less the time required to check the appropriate boxes. Help!!

Laura
12-04-2012, 08:53 PM
After you've played for a while, you notice patterns in the puzzles. Specifically "the five people are" and the "among XXX and YYY" clues. You can solve them quickly that way, but I doubt anyone would waste their time doing so only to get high scores. I can only imagine that players are here for the pure enjoyment of solving logic puzzles. Although I've recognized the patterns I ignore them.

pudgemudge2u
12-05-2012, 03:44 AM
Thanks Laura, you're right, they are rather addicting and I do like solving them for the enjoyment of it....but getting those little "trophies" for different things is a challenge and I find myself trying to win one of those. Need to learn to cut myself some slack. Thanks again, and hope you have a wonderful Christmas holiday. :)

Laura
12-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Just keep practicing and you'll get much faster. I remember having to spend almost half an hour at one puzzle. And when I first got here, I even started using an Excel spreadsheet. Now I don't need to use one.

Anyway, just have fun! In time you'll start getting some of those trophies.

Laura
12-10-2012, 11:44 PM
I remembered a post by Admin a few years ago that addressed fast solve times. I'm not sure if the results of his analysis would be the same today, but here it is for anyone who's interested.

...http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?p=201#post201

rxs98
01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
I have noticed that there are certain patterns and solutions to many of the puzzles that come up. Once you recognize those patterns it is a matter of memory. Sometimes you can memorize some of the patterns in your mind. Is that cheating?